Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mocha Chip

This weeks ice cream is Mocha Chip. A few things went wrong with this one, but it still turned out pretty good. First the recipe called for a coffee concentrate that you make with a coffee toddy. I didn't have a coffee toddy so I just made a batch of REALLY strong espresso roast coffee. I added that to a basic sweet cream base. I wanted a little bit richer taste, so I melted some semisweet chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup) and added that tot he mix. Into the the machine it went.

Towards the end I thought I would add some chocolate chips. I wanted them to be smaller though, so I chopped them up in the blender. I made smaller chunks than what I really wanted. After the allotted 30 minutes in the machine what I really had was an ice cream soup. The ice cream is never "ready to eat" right out of the machine. It always needs a couple more hours in the freezer to firm up like I like it. But this was soupy. I consulted my Ben & Jerry's book and they said that whenever you add a liquid (like coffee) to the sweet cream base, it is going to affect your consistency and freezing time. I had a small cup (above) at lunch today and it is pretty good. It takes like a very rich chocolate with chips. With all the extra chocolate I added, I lost some of the coffee flavor. Amanda suggested that I leave out the extra chocolate next time. I think she's right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andy,
I never seem to be able to comment on your blog. I find myself just having enough time to read while the kids are up and then at night I am beginning to have conversations with Alex again, now that Jacob is going to bed at a decent hour. I just want you to know that I read regularly and that I am so proud that you're my brother. I love who you are and all the things you're interested in. I love the family you are leading and how I am learning from you. I can't wait to spend time with you and yours next weekend. I hope you're enjoying your time with Amanda while the kids (most of them) are away.
T