Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Read Alouds--The Indian In The Cupboard

One of my latest joys is the time that I get to spend in the evening reading to the boys. This is something that I have always looked forward to about having kids. Having the kids bring me book after book of Sandra Boynton, Dr. Seuss, etc. has never been my favorite. But getting to read a well written, gripping and sometimes moving story to my little boys as they lay in their beds quietly listening is awesome.

I know that for some of you with smaller kids this is but a dream. But be assured, your time will come. I thought it would be somewhat interesting for me to regularly share my Read Alouds and give you some reaction. I have done this earlier with Soup and Me and Sarah, Plain and Tall.

Right now we are reading The Indian in the Cupboard, by Lynne Reid Banks. My mom taught forth and fifth grades for many years and this was one that she recommended. She has given us some great suggestions of books that boys would really like. This is one of those. It has Indians, cowboys, horses and is written from a definite boy's perspective. It is so much fun to have Ben and Caleb say each night when we finish our chapter, "Please, can you start the next one? Just a little!" Matthew has fallen asleep some nights as I've read. I think he is a little young, but I think it's still good practice for him to try and listen.

7 comments:

Gregg said...

I don't remember much about this book other than that I read and loved it when I was young. Do you allow guest-readers?...I'd love to read to the boys one night at Christmastime.

Andy Gammons said...

Gregg, of course! My mom has read a few times on her trips here. Your mom has also read, but I'm not sure if she's read any of the Read Aloud books.

Our new digs downstairs make for such a good atmosphere. I turn off all the lights, sit in the red chair, put my feet up and read. I could do it for hours. Usually it's only 30 minutes.

After our book, we read a section from the Bible from THE MESSAGE. We're reading Acts right now. Last night we read the story of the stoning of Stephen. What an amazing story! The Message is really a good different way to read the Bible.

Heidi said...

just an fyi, the author of sarah plain and tall also has a book called CALEB'S story! ;)

reading time with justin is one of my favorite moments in the day. although sometimes he now requests that we just read next to each other in silence. this is also very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Andy--
The boys will have wonderful memories of these stories. I remember how disappointed I was with the movie of Charlotte's Web because my mental version was so vivid from my 5th grade teacher having read it out loud!

Of course God's Word will never return void--so those readings will have eternal benefits.
Shube

Sharon said...

So glad that you're enjoying reading aloud to the boys. There's something about the read aloud process. Even my sixth grade students loved it and begged for more. I think it's all in the choice of the book and having a "bit of the actor" in you helps too. The Indian in the Cupboard is part of a series, but I must admit that I didn't enjoy the sequels near as much even though my students seemed to really like them. I agree wholeheartedly with Shirley...God's word will never return void!!
Be sure to send the current read aloud with the boys when they come for their visit. I just hope I'm not too tired at night to read:)

Anonymous said...

You can do it Mom!

Glad you love books Andy.
T

Andrea said...

These sound like great books to check out. A series that I've been reading with my daughter (and occasionally one of our sons) is "The Unicorn's Secret." There are 8 books in all - short chapter books. I found them to be really well written and I don't think they're "girly" though the main character is a girl. There is plenty of adventure and the author builds on the story line really well in each book. Though I was a little disappointed in how it ended - probably because the author could have included so much more detail, but this might have been overwhelming for a younger audience. Anyway...a recommendation if you're looking for a series to do with the kids. :)

Andrea