Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Chickens Are Coming

This summer we got some really great neighbors.  We have really enjoyed getting to know them and their kids.  A few weeks ago they came over and said that they were moving to Vermont.  They wanted to know if we wanted to have their three chickens.  We have been planning on getting chickens this spring.  We have begun readying the shed and a chicken run for them, so we figured the neighbors chickens would be a good test run.  All we had left to get ready was some nesting boxes.  I did some research online.  If you know me though, you know that I am not what you might term "handy."  I'm adventurous though and willing to take a crack at anything.

We got some old lumber and scraps from the neighbors and with the help of the boys, came up with what I think will work great.


The part I enjoyed most about this project was working with the boys.  Of course Matthew was right in there from the start.  Caleb joined us for the last night of work.  Ben though, was my right hand man.  It was great to watch his mind work to think through how we could solve the problems and get the thing together.  As I was working through this, I did think that it might have been a good idea to actually work through the homework in Mr. Hall's geometry class in 10th grade.  It sure would have come in handy.  The chickens come this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun to see all the new pics.
Love that you're doing chickens...and the Mr Hall reference. "What happened to his pinkies?"
T

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love seeing all of the new pics too:) I remember collecting eggs at Grammy's farm every morning and then cracking the eggs in a separate dish so that we didn't accidently use a fertilized one....biology 101. That will be a fun experience for the kids and you'll enjoy fresh eggs too.
Mom