Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chaplain Dale Cooper

If you have spent any time at Calvin College over the past thirty years, you have run across a small man with a large smile and an even larger heart. This past year Dale Cooper completed his thirtieth year at Calvin and retired. The contact that I had with "Coop" was mostly formal. I sat under a number of his messages, devotionals and conversations. I especially appreciated his often emotion-filled devotionals that would start off our year. He would end each by asking us to stand and join him in singing a hymn that he had printed out, all of the verses, of course. As I read an article from the Calvin Spark about his retirement, I could hear him speaking the many words of gratitude. I am grateful for the time that I spent with Dale Cooper. I am also grateful of this reminder that God is continually bringing people into my life that he uses to shape me, both my heart and my thinking. Congratulations Coop, on your retirement and on a life of willing service.

----------------
Now playing: Mark Pickerel and His Praying Hands - Graffiti Girl
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Sharon said...

He sounds like a special person Andy. I'm glad that God allowed him to be a small part of your life. You've been blessed with many such people.