Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hymn of the Week--Come, Ye Thankful People, Come

It's Thanksgiving time! This seems to be our traditional Thanksgiving hymn. This year, I am thankful mostly for God, but also for his many gifts. Pastor John has been preaching through John chapter 6. In this chapter Jesus feeds five thousand people. They want to make him their king. They love him, not because of who he is but because of his gifts (the bread he gave them.) I certainly don't want to seek God because of his many good gifts, but I do think that I can be thankful for and love God for his gifts AS WELL AS love him for who he is. What do you think?

Hymn of the Week
Come, Ye Thankful People, Come
Words by Henry Alford
Music by St. George's Windsor, George J. Elvey

Come, ye thankful people, come, raise the song of harvest home;
All is safely gathered in, ere the winter storms begin.
God our Maker doth provide for our wants to be supplied;
Come to God’s own temple, come, raise the song of harvest home.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I love that one too. Here's another favorite.

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ His son
And now let the weak say I am strong
Let the poor say I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us
Give thanks

I am thankful for you Andrew, and for Amanda, Benjamin, Caleb, Matthew, and Molly! I will miss all of you around the Thanksgiving table. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!