Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hymn of the Week--This Is My Father's World

Caleb is memorizing the first two verses of this hymn for his Wednesday night class. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to post of video of him doing it. (Wouldn't that be great!) I told the boys that this was the first song that I ever sang in church by myself. I can remember how nervous I was when Tom Knight and I sang this song. I think I was 10 or 11. Funny.

Hymn of the Week 
This Is My Father's World
Words by Maltbie D. Babcock
Music: Terra Beata, traditional English melody

This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father’s world: I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.
This is my Father’s world, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world: He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember you singing that. Course that would put me at 14 or 15 and I wasn't exactly "others-focused" at that age...or the 4 years there after.

Alex and I have been singing On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand ever since you had that as HOTW.

Sharon said...

I don't remember you singing with Tom either, but I do remember this hymn. It's a great one! Tell Caleb that I can't wait to hear him sing it via the computer.

Sharon said...

This also makes me think of Aunt Betty at Waterford Community Church teaching you kids all four verses of "Trust and Obey." Can you still sing it from memory?

Abigail said...

Thanks for posting this one.. it will aid in Eliza's memorization!