Thursday, July 22, 2010

Little Brother

Photo by Gulf Coast Business Review
 I haven't always been a husband.  I haven't always been a father.  I haven't always been even an employee or a friend.  But I've always been a little brother.  If you're not a little brother there are some things about this relationship that you simply wouldn't understand.

My brother Joe's wife Carrie posted yesterday that Joe had been written up in his local paper as one of the top area business people under 40-years-old.  When I read the article, I felt like I was in third grade talking with Tiffany Billeau and telling her that I was Joey Gammons' brother or in high school leveraging my little brother currency with Joe's friends in the main commons or at a political rally in Grand Rapids getting to do security because I was with the boss.  I felt proud to be Joe Gammons' little brother.  I live a long way from my older brother.  I have for the past 6 or 7 years.  I miss him and his family.  I miss the day-to-day little brother quality of proximity.

This is a feeling with which Caleb and Matthew and both Sammy's will all be very familiar.  It's a good thing to be a little brother.  It's not always easy, but good.  If you're a little brother, you know what I mean.  Congrats, Joe on your continued success.  Even from a couple thousand miles away, I'm still proud to be your little brother.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

You are a sweet brother Andrew. This was a nice post about your big brother.

Anonymous said...

Everyone at the Bos Family Summerfest has read your blog about your brother. Thank you for the post, and for loving Joe! We miss you too and wish we could be closer (in miles).
cg