Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hymn of the Week--To God Be the Glory

This weekend in church we sang the hymn To God Be the Glory.  Whenever we sing this hymn, I am reminded of how blessed I am and how much I owe.  One of my earliest memories of church is singing this hymn at Waterford Community Church.  At the end of the Sunday night service, the congregation would sing a hymn as the pastor and his wife, who sat in the front row, would file out.  This hymn was also the theme song to a Bible study to which my mom listened.  I am so thankful to God for my parents and especially my mom and how she taught us that God was an important part of her life and should be in our lives.

I love the verses.  They talk about all that God has done for us.  Then the chorus is pure doxology.  When we really understand what God has done on our behalf, that's where we have to go.


Hymn of the Week
Words by Fanny Crosby
Music by JW. Howard Doane

To God be the glory, great things He has done;
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life gate that all may go in.

Refrain

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the people rejoice!
O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son,
And give Him the glory, great things He has done.



    3 comments:

    Sharon said...

    Wow! Another great choice! That was J. Vernon McGee's "Back to the Bible" program which I tried to listen to every day. Having come from a church background where the Bible wasn't taught, I was hungry for what that radio program offered. Sing it with gusto tonight at dinner:)

    Sharon said...

    Oops! It was "Thru the Bible" with Dr. J. Vernon McGee. Loved it!!

    Debbie said...

    I love that hymn so much, it was in our wedding! I think it was also the first hymn our kids could sing by heart (by the time they were two! Except Daniel always ended it with, "...Eight things He hath done!")