Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Read Alouds--Johnny Tremain

As I've stated before, this year's read alouds are mostly historical fiction centered around American history.  I have really enjoyed the vast majority of the ones we've done so far.  We have made it to the period of the American revolution.

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes, takes place in Boston at the very beginning of the war.  Johnny is a young boy who through many circumstances comes on the side of patriots like Paul Revere, Sam Adams, John Adams and others.  The story follows Johnny as he assists the secret rebellion of the colonists, climaxing at the battle of Lexington and Concord.  This was a long book, but everyone enjoyed it.  Johnny is an interesting character and Forbes develops him well.  When we first meet him, he is a selfish and prideful teenager.  At the end, he has become a young man who is ready to give his life for his friends and his country.  I would definitely recommend this one.

When we were reading this, it made me think of the School House Rock song, "Shot Heard Round the World."  We listened to it this morning and the boys thought it was great.

1 comment:

Joe Foell said...

I just finished reading this myself last week. I really enjoyed the depiction of Revelutionary War time Boston. It seemed to be very well researched, and well written. I plan to read it out loud to my kids once we finish the next few books of the 'Little Britches' series (we just started them).