Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dreams--A new blog topic

In my never ending pursuit of interesting blog fodder, I have been thinking lately about sharing some of my dreams. Not the dreams that I have at night, rather the dreams I have at midday, wide awake. This is scary, because as Springsteen says, "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse?" How many of use have shared something that we are thinking about, a job we'd like to have, a life-change that we'd like to make, a goal we'd like to reach, just to have it not happen. We feel foolish, ashamed, thwarted.

When I was 18-26 or 27, I was full of dreams (see picture at right.) All I could do was dream. Now that I am 30, I have entered the slough of reality. I have been turned down for more jobs than I've gotten; I've disappointed myself at every turn and those that I love even more; I've lost people that I love . . . All of this has led to an aversion to dreams and dreaming. Self-protection? Of course.

I am blessed though. My dreams have not all come true. God has granted me dreams that I never had. I always dreamed of being married to my best friend. God gave me Amanda. I vaguely had dreams of being a father, but they weren't paramount. God has shown me that this is where dreams come true. The three boys that He has given me daily challenge me, shape me, bowl me over and make me grateful.

As I begin to share some of my dreams (I will do another post after this introduction), please post comments about your dreams. It is a risk. Yes, but maybe we can love each other more as we come to celebrate the dreams come true and lament the ones dashed.

No comments: