Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What am I dreaming about?

Most of my dreams are pretty tame (again self-protection). I dream about things like going home to Amanda's pot roast that I smelled at lunch, someday going back on lala, watching my kids grow up, not disappointing my family, having a job that I like to go to every morning. Sometimes though, often on my way to or from work, my mind wanders to an unsafe place: a place of BIG dreams.

Yesterday I was home sick. In the morning Amanda took Matthew for a walk and I played Legos with the boys. We had lunch together. During nap time, Benjamin and I went to the hardware store and to Toys R Us to get sand for the sand box. It was a great day. It was hard too. I lost my temper a few times, but I felt very present with my family. Amanda and I have often talked about what it would take for me to have more days like this-for me to be home with the family more. This is what my dream would be.
  • Move to the country. We love being outside. Our souls are more comfortable when we are out in the sun or the cold. I feel more myself when I am doing work outside-gardening, shoveling, mowing, building. We feel like it would be a good thing for the boys to have some room to grow and run and learn outside.
  • Find some means of support. I'm not thinking of sending out letters to you to ask for money. Don't worry. I would like to find a job where I could work four 10 hour days or work part-time or something like that. This would allow us to have a huge garden, cut our own wood for heat, maybe even have some animals (chickens, maybe a goat.) We wouldn't need to make much money. Amanda figures if we had a house that was paid for (that's the clincher) we would need to make about $10,000-20,000 a year.
We have gone so far as to checking books out of the library upon such subjects as self-sustainability, homesteading, and gardening. The thing that I love about this dream is that it would be one of the hardest things that I would have ever done. For it to be a good and realistic dream, it must take a lot of work. This one fits the bill. My friend Jared Friesen, who lives in a shack in Belize, has challenged us to follow this dream. I love him and his wife and their willingness to follow a dream.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for allowing me to share my dreams. I'll keep writing about them. I'd love to read any comments that you might have.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Lots of my dreams have come true...
marriage to a good man
healthy children
kids who love Jesus
friends to love and be loved by
children that love me and care about me


Some dreams haven't come true....
growing old with Don
children and grandchildren living near by

There are many more that have come true than not! I've been blessed!!

Sharon said...

I love the idea of you and your family living in the country, cutting wood like Jerry Black, working outside, and having room for the boys to climb trees and maybe live in a place like the Falder house in Wabash. God is in the business of making dreams come true.

Allison said...

No one ever listens to me about scoring tests ala Pearson...you can make at least 30k scoring from home and not working the whole year!! (Why won't anyone take this jump besides me??)

I do it part time and bring home approx $13-15k/year at night on top of my 40 hr. job. So full time, you could really bring it in.

Anonymous said...

we are in. ive had this "down with the man, up with simple life (fairly self-sustaining) away from the city" dream myself on many occasions.
i want to be a person who can enjoy getting by without nice STUFF and be able to spend more time with the people i love -- and i hate the thought that the way that i can accomplish this is by "having enough MONEY to retire/partially-retire."
that doesnt even make sense: get by without money by having lots of it.
maybe al is right -- we all move to the country where we can by cheap houses and score tests online to get by.

Anonymous said...

Dare to dream.
Dare to act.
Dare to plan.
Dare to plan to act.
Dare to be content.
The ebb and flow of being a man.
D.