Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A father's pride

I don't remember a lot of times growing up when my dad would look me in the eyes and tell me that he was proud of me. I know he was proud of me, but I just don't remember him saying it that often. This is a longing that every boy has of his father. "Dad, are you proud of me?" I am not sure where this comes from. I don't know too many boys or men who are not still looking for the affirmation of their fathers. Some have this longing more than others, but it seems to be somewhat universal.

Little Ben definitely longs for this from me. We got a little bike last Christmas from the Arendt family (read the post). He could do it great right from the start. Initially though, he was a little scared of it. I told him that falling was a part of learning to ride. He wasn't convinced.

Then when we got back from vacation he was super hyped about getting back on the bike. We were at the Arendt's house again and the only thing that I can think of is that he saw Addison riding his bike and wanted to do it too. Grandpa Dave was over for a few minutes the other night and really got him going well.

I told him a number of times last night that I was very proud of him. I really am too. It is super fun to watch him be so excited about something. Check out the videos below. The first one is just of Ben on his bike. The second one shows Caleb on his Trek bike and then Ben crashes. I love it though when he get right back up, with a smile on his face and give it another go. You can also see a couple more on our youtube channel.



2 comments:

Allison said...

A 4 year old with no training wheels??!!! I've never seen anything like it. Bravo Benny!!!

Sharon said...

CONGRATULATIONS BEN!! I'm proud of you too! I love you.
Gigi