Monday, November 5, 2007

Christmas, Jesus, kids, gifts, consumerism

As we begin to think about Christmas and all of the joys that it brings, I also begin to think about our kids and all of the questions that this season brings. This comes early this year because we are going to be exchanging gifts at my mom's house over Thanksgiving. When I come to this topic I come with a few givens.
  1. This season is about the most important gift ever given: the gift of the incarnate savior Jesus Christ and his eventual death, resurrection and redemption.
  2. Secondarily, the holidays are about being together with family and people that we love. As part of this, we give and receive gifts that are expressions of that love.
  3. If anything in #2 takes away from #1 it should be subordinated until #1 is paramount.
  4. Our culture makes the main part of this season getting the things that you want out of the Toys 'r Us circular (or Best Buy in my case.)
So with these givens stated, here's my question? What do you and your family or what did you and your family (if your family is gone) do to make sure that Christmas did not lose the focus of Jesus and time with loved ones? One thing that we are going to try this year, that we stole from our good friends the Arendts, is that we are going to give the kids three gifts. We'll talk about how Jesus was given three gifts as well. I think we are going to try and do our gift giving with just our family at home. In the past we've done it as a part of other celebrations. I long for my kids (and me) to be protected from the sweaty palmed madness of materialism/consumerism. It's a tough one and I think it may be something that they need to eventually battle on their own. What do you think? I'd love to read your comments.

----------------
Now playing: Brandi Carlile - The Story
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Sharon said...

My family always went to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. I remember the huge(it seemed huge to me as a little girl)manger scene at the front of the church and loving all of it. When you kids were growing up and we lived in Alpena there was a Christmas Eve service too. For some reason we dressed up and when you were older you sometimes participated in the musical portion of the service. We also read from the book of Luke about the birth of Jesus on Christmas morning before we opened our gifts. In my opinion, gifts have been WAY overdone. It's thoughtful and fun to give and receive gifts but I think there has to be a real effort to make sure that Jesus is what Christmas is all about.

Gregg said...

I love the 3 gifts idea - great way to tie the gifts back to The Reason. Wonderful idea.

Do you think Caleb will like his Myrrh?

Andy Gammons said...

Thanks for the comments. Gregg, Caleb's a pretty flashy guy and myrrh is usually perfume. I think he'll love it. He'll probably want a gold chain next.

Andy

Anonymous said...

We also do (or are going to do) the three gifts idea. It's funny that you mentioned it because I had never heard of it other than from the people we stole it from. Some friends in Sewickley who were absolute cajillionaires did it with their kids. They could have bought each of their kids a Bentley each Christmas, so I really admired their attempt to keep gift giving focused on Christ. I will think more on this topic and possibly post again later.
T