Friday, November 9, 2007

Things I look forward to about Alpena


One week from today we will be embarking on our yearly holiday trip to Alpena. This trip always brings a myriad of emotions. I love going home. It is a place of solace and rest for me. That might also be the fact that I'm always on vacation there. There are many things though that are peculiar to Alpena to which I look forward.
  1. Fires: I love a campfire. If I could I would build a fire every night, sit outside, smoke my pipe (I don't smoke anymore Mom.), and be near people that I love, I would be very pleased. I think this love started at Summer Camp growing up in Alpena. After the campers all went to bed, the counselors would sit around the fire that Bill Fitch had built, talk, pray and sing way into the night. These were amazing times! I got to know the saints of our church, learned to talk about this Jesus that I loved and grew up. I love fires now because it is something very masculine that I can do with my boys. I am teaching them things, they are breaking sticks, and we are being together. Fire is a gift to men. Men don't say things very well face-to-face. But if they are all facing a fire, words come more quickly and more gently. Every year when I go on our Guys' Weekend with my friends from Taylor, we experience this. We have talked about staying in hotels on that weekend, but someone always says, "What about the fire." I hope to have many a fire in Alpena while were there.
  2. Connie's Cafe: This is a little restaurant in Ossineke, Michigan a few miles from Mom's house where we always like to do at least one breakfast. Sometimes Mom will even keep the kids and Amanda and I get to slip off for a breakfast by ourselves. Sweet and precious time.
  3. Tricia, Alex and Davy time: I have missed seeing little Davy grow. I am looking forward to seeing them. Tricia was able to be so involved in the lives of our first two kids. It has been difficult to not be able to see Davy and Drew and be involved in their lives.
  4. Walks on the beach: At least once while I am in Alpena, I get to take a walk with just Amanda, one with just my mom and one with the whole family. Mom's spot there is so beautiful. The beauty of winter is one of quiet, cold, barrenness. It is a place where you can bundle the boys up, send them out and know that they are going to have good "boy" time: jumping in puddles, finding sticks, walking on the ice, pushing limits.
I am finding more and more that the times that I feel most myself are outside, not in a "I'm outdoors cool" kind of way. I just like to be out. This is something that I've always loved about Alpena. It is much better outside than in. Not everywhere is like that. Northern Michigan is definitely one of those places.

----------------
Now playing: Over The Rhine - My Funny Valentine
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Your post made me cry. I love all of the things that you talked about too. I'm busy preparing for your arrival...planning what we'll eat, getting Christmas crafts ready for the boys, wrapping gifts and doing my last minute shopping, and just looking forward to hugs from everyone. Let's plan to walk every day. I'd like to walk on the beach, but I want to take everyone to Negwegon State Park, walk at Norway Ridge, and walk at the breakwall at the small boat harbor. I too love and need to be outside often. I remember when my mom was in the nursing home for rehabilitation after a surgery and we had to tell the staff how important it was for her to be taken outside in her wheelchair "to get some fresh air". It's in the genes I guess. I can't wait to see everyone!!

Gregg said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

I've only been up there once (for your wedding), but loved the spot - what an amazing corner of Michigan. The beach, fires, walks...have fun!

Anonymous said...

Ditto all around...

If we make it.

Tricia

Andy Gammons said...

Tricia,

You're hilarious.

Andy