Monday, April 7, 2008

Fighter verses

Each week our church memorizes a passage of the Bible. Our church calls them "Fighter Verses." We work on this as a family. We usually work on it at our Sunday family meeting and then after dinner. Some weeks we nail it and some weeks we don't get it at all. This week we did Matthew 22:37b-39. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. The second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Check out Ben saying this week's verse.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

"I have stored up/treasured your word in my heart, that I might not sin against You". Psalm 119:11

It made me tear up when I saw Benjamin reciting scripture. I know that your family works on that each week, but there's nothing like seeing it in person. When I was teaching I often heard criticism of any sort memorization. The critics said that kids didn't understand so much of what they were putting to memory therefore it was useless. I couldn't disagree more. It makes perfect sense to me to have sweet young ones like yours learn songs, scripture verses, poems, the Pledge of Allegiance etc. etc. etc. and have it "hidden in their hearts" for easy access when it's understood and needed. I am very thankful that my kids were raised in a church where scripture memorization was valued. Do you remember learning all four verses of "Trust and Obey"? You didn't understand it at age 5 but I'm sure you do now. Do they sing it at your church? That one might be a good candidate for hymn of the week. It thrills my soul to see you, Tricia, and Joe passing Jesus on to your kids. Thank you for your efforts.

Colbert Family said...

Very precious! What a sweet boy. So awesome hearing little ones recite scripture.

Shelley :)