Monday, April 28, 2008

Michael Card in concert

On Saturday night I dragged Amanda, Brad and Sarah to a Michael Card show. I had known that he was coming to the Twin Cities for a while, but I wasn't sure if I was going to go. I really didn't want to go by myself. I was thankful for the company. It was such a great concert. It was at a little church quite near Shirley's house. His music is so strictly crafted around God's word and his encouragement all night was to read through the Bible. So he started with Genesis and in song, walked through the story of God as revealed in the Bible. He said that God's deepest longing is to simply be with us and that what God really offered us was Himself.

Michael (or Mike as the people on his radio show call him) played the piano, banjo and guitar. (Brad was very interested in this because Mike is left handed and plays a right handed guitar upside down. He doesn't string it differently, he simply flips it over.) Jeff Taylor, who often plays with him on the radio, was also there. He played the accordion, penny whistle, and piano. They played all of my favorite MC songs. After the intermission we sang a few hymns all together as well. Mike has recently released a collection of hymns. I bought it there and have already listened to it a few times. It is a good collection of ones that I know well and other hymns that are new to me. You can purchase it here. Mike did a lot of speaking which is typical, but there was also a lot of music. It was three hours well spent. I left feeling encouraged and closer to God. I hope that he also left feeling the same. Whenever I go and see artists who are not "making it big," I am always aware and hopeful that I am a participant in their life. One of the main reasons that I went was to let him know that I appreciate him and the work that he is doing.

Check out a previous post about Michael Card here.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds wonderful! I like his music too.

Anonymous said...

i always love your choice in music. i am headed to the bookstore tonite and will pick out this cd. thanks for the recommendation!! he is always in grand haven in august for a concert and it is a highlight of the summer for me.