Wednesday, July 30, 2008

How does your garden grow?

I have been wanting to answer Allison's post about her garden for some time. I just haven't gotten the chance to get out and take some pictures. Yesterday was the perfect opportunity though with the picking of our first real tomato (pictured above). We are also getting some really sweet grape tomatoes. The basil is growing really well. I can't wait to have some mozzarella, basil and tomato salad.
The rabbits have completely ravaged the lettuce but have left almost everything else. As you can see, the tomatoes are the real stars. We are going to have a ton of them when things really start going. I staked a few of the plant this week using torn up rags. I felt like a depression-era gardener.
Finally, our sweet peppers are also coming along well. I am going to leave these on the vine and let them get red. For our first real garden at this house, it seems to be quite a success.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, Yum.

Maybe you need to make a trip to the pellet gun store to take care of that rabbit problem.

T

Gregg said...

Allison was taking pictures of her bounty on Monday - wait 'til you see the size of the squash we came home to!

Sharon said...

Wow, your tomatoes look great. You know how far north you live when you don't harvest tomatoes until September. That makes them all the more wonderful! Nothing like one fresh from the garden with a little salt or a tomato sandwich with a little mayo and lettuce. Some sweet corn along with it sounds great too.

Anonymous said...

Andy--
Congrats on your tomato-growing prowess! Sharon is right: Nothing better than a tomato sandwich with a little mayo, kosher salt, pepper (on toasted bread, of course). Yum-o. I'm feeling left out, so I might have to send you a pic of my raspberries. They are thriving this summer!
Shube

Sharon said...

RASPBERRIES!!!!....they're my favorite! Do they ship well??? I'll be sitting by the mailbox:)