Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why'd you quit your church?

I sometimes read Abraham Piper's (Pastor John's son) blog. It is often a really good question followed by people's responses in the comments. This week he asked the question, "Why'd you quit your church?" I wrote about why we left the church that we had been going to for over a year in this post. As I read through the comments on Abraham's blog they seemed to separate into two categories: the church (teaching, worship, theology) and how I felt in the church (not cared for, lonely, not heard, not included). A couple examples of each follows.

"theology issues and feeling like I was getting a pep talk every Sunday instead of being taught about Jesus."--Morgan

"Our thumbs down came when ‘Deal Or No Deal’ video clips were played for two months prior to the sermon. Also, the messages were 100% topical instead of going through books of the Bible."--WL

"I realized no one noticed when I was gone."--ann

"My wife and I left our old church because it didn’t want us anymore, and they cut out the things that mattered the most for morketing reasons."--Fr. Spike


I know that some of my readers have left churches or are thinking about it. What made you leave? Are there reasons for leaving that are better than others?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have chatted about this topic a bunch of times and you know my feelings. It was deeply saddening to me when a priest took on the role of fundraiser and politician to secure a higher role within the church instead of doing what he was meant to do -- teach.

If only he cared that he lost even one person because of his own greed.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of one of my favorite jokes: A guy is stranded on an island for 10 years. When finally rescued by a shipload of anthropologists, they noticed three huts he had built. They asked what they were. The guy replied: One is my house and one is my church. They responded: What about the 3rd one. He answered: That's where I used to go to church, but I didn't like the music! :)
Shube

Gregg said...

I'm definitely the guy with the three huts. Music is often a major factor for me. It seems like so much of the music performed at churches do more to distract rather than prepare one's heart for the message. I can get past ackward music for a good teacher, but for me nothing beats some hymns with a piano or organ and a well-prepared, Bible-based message. Although, I sometimes feel spoiled by attending Alistair Begg's church back in Cleveland!

Good post - I like the topic and comments.