Monday, March 23, 2009

Hymn of the Week--And Can It Be That I Should Gain?

We read the story of Charles Wesley's conversion last night for family worship. It is interesting that as much as he wanted to love Jesus, it was not until Christ actually drew him unto himself that real conversion happened. Many think that this was one of the first hymns that he wrote after he became a Christian. It's a good one.

This is another one that we always loved to sing on Sunday night so that we could do the echo. Grab your favorite duet partner and give it a try. Or you can sing along with Steve Green and the audio below. It's a good version. I like Steve Green a lot.

Hymn of the WeekAnd Can It Be That I Should Gain?
Words by Charles Wesley
Music by Thomas Campbell
And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain—
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sang this at our wedding.
T

Sharon said...

Steve Green's voice is perfect for this hymn. My favorite verse is...

He left His Father's throne above
So free, so infinite His grace-
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race:
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For O my God, it found out me!

It's the Good News that saved a sinner like me! Thanks for posting it Andy. It made me think of times when Don led the singing at church and had the men sing one verse and the women the next. I loved hearing the men sing the "echo part".