Monday, March 2, 2009

Oh, Mexico!


It is difficult to sum up an amazing week in one blog post. I decided before we left that I wouldn't blog from there. We didn't really want it broadcast across the interwebs that we were out of town for a week. But this then leads to my quandary now. I'll try to give you some highlights.

Family


Being with Amanda's family and getting to spend a lot of uninterrupted time with my family was the best part for me. We swam in the pool a lot, stayed up late talking, went for walks and hang out.

Activities




We did some very fun activities. The one I liked the best was the whale watching trip. The boat was great and the scenery was beautiful. It was amazing to see the whales close up. We could also see whales jumping from our deck every morning and evening.

La Cultura

I love Mexico, the Mexican people, the language and the culture. I have spent time in Mexico on vacation and on mission trips. Every time I am struck by the generosity, simplicity, contentment, kindness and beauty of the people. This trip was another instance of this. Mexico shaped even my choice of study in college. I love speak Spanish and don't get many opportunities. It was a lot of fun to get back into that and I always thank God for that gift that gets me a little more on the inside of the people and the place. I also love Mexican food. Another highlight for me was when Leticia, the woman who did housekeeping at our house, cooked lunch and breakfast for us. Lunch was quesadillas, fresh guacamole, frijoles and salsa. Breakfast was juevos rancheros, more salsa and frijoles. We also had fresh tortillas for most of the week.

It was a great week and a great gift from God via Dave and Joni. We are so thankful for this respite that we all needed. Thanks D&J. Thanks be to God.

If you'd like to, you can see all of our photos here.

7 comments:

Gregg said...

Good summary, Andy. I, too, am overwhelmed by the amount of pictures and blog ideas after vacation!

We had a wonderful time with everyone, and it would've been tough without your knowledge of the language and culture. We already miss you all.

Sarah said...

Thanks for this post and your pics. It was such a great vacation that it was very hard to come home when it was over. Thanks for everything D&J.

Sharon said...

So glad that you had such a great time! The pictures are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Very, very, very cool.

T

Colbert Family said...

Looks like it was an amazing vacation! I loved looking at all the pictures :)
Shelley

mckeefamily03 said...

WOw! I am so glad you guys got to do this! You have such a beautiful family! We hope you guys are doing GREAT!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little behind in checking your blog....
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! The pictures are amazing. You got some great family pics too.
Cg