Monday, January 4, 2010

Hymn of the Week--He Owns The Cattle On a Thousand Hills

As my friend was writing about a struggle that he is walking through and his desire to trust God with all of his needs, this song came to mind.  It is an old one from the very beginning of the "chorus movement".  I love it's simple message straight from the scriptures.

Psalm 50:9-15
9 I will not accept a bull from your house
or goats from your folds.
10 For every beast of the forest is mine,
the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know all the birds of the hills,
and all that moves in the field is mine.
12 “If I were hungry, I would not tell you,
for the world and its fullness are mine.
13 Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats?
14 Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and perform your vows to the Most High,
15 and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”

Hymn of the Week
He Owns The Cattle On A Thousand Hills
Words and music by John W. Peterson
 

He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
The wealth in every mine;
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The sun and stars that shine.
Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell -
He is my Father so they're mine as well;
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
I know that He will care for me.  


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This song from my childhood was juat playing in my mind. I remembered all the lyrics except two words. I also didn't know it was written by John W. Peterson. Thanks for publishing!

Anonymous said...

Neither did I