Thursday, November 30, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things

One of the things that I like best is music-especially new music. In that spirit, I would like to share a few of the new artists that I have found in the last year or so. Click on the album art to get more info.
Amos Lee
Amos Lee is a folk/jazz singer. This is his first album. It is soft and lovely with emotion throughout. He recently put out a new album. I have heard some of the tracks, but don't have it yet.

The Jayhawks
The Jayhawks are actually a Minneapolis band. They have broken up, but the music that they made when together was great. It is alt-country with harmonies and songs that make me think of CSNY or The Band.

Wilco
First, I am not a "true" Wilco fan. Wilco fans are kind of cultish and crazy. Wilco started out as alt-country, but their lead singer, Jeff Tweedy, is apparently responsible for their divergence into more alternative/atmospheric music. "Summer Teeth" is my favorite of what I have heard. It is definitely alt-country, even folksy.

Uncle Tupelo
Uncle Tupelo are the "Fathers of Alternative Country". Their first album was titled "No Depression". The genre that they spawned was then actually referred to as No Depression. They broke up (think Behind the Music) and Jay Farrar and others started Son Volt. Jeff Tweedy took the rest of the band and started Wilco.

Well, that's all for now. Let me know if this type of post is at all interesting. Thanks for reading.

No comments: