Friday, January 9, 2009

Dadisms

My post about the clippers made me think of one of the Nagel family's favorite "Daveisms". It's not a phrase, it's more of a gesture. Whenever there is talk about whether someone should go with a generic item or a cheaper item over the more expensive purchase, Dave simply does his gesture (see picture below). He kind of moves the top hand back and forth. Which means he thinks you should go top shelf. This gesture is closely related to "Pay peanuts, get monekys." Dave has a number of these and my dad did too. After my dad died, I spent some time writing and tried to collect all of these sayings of his. It seems that now, they continually pepper my everyday conversation. It is a good thing. Do you remember any of your dad's favorite sayings? To begin the comments, I'll list some of my favorites of my dad's and Dave's.

DON GAMMONSisms
  • "You're almsost as good looking as your dad."--usually delivered on Sunday morning in front of the mirror.
  • "You'd be pretty good looking if it weren't for those two brown spots on your chest."--usually delivered when Joey and I were fresh out of the shower.
  • "It's colder than a well digger's hind end (or witch's titt in a brass bra.)"
  • "You look more nervous than a whore in church."
  • "Giminy Chirstmas!"
DAVE NAGELisms
  • "You run out of money, before you run out of great deals."

5 comments:

Sharon said...

quotes from Don

Brother Bill!

Thanks for praying. I need it and you need the practice.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you listed some of those. Alex and I pull them out on a regular basis, but some, we have found, are not meant for mixed company.

Alex used #2 on Davy once and I had to explain that it was probably best used only on boys.

Fun post. Thanks for the smile.

Sharon said...

I must agree with Tricia...that Don probably didn't intend for these "sayings" to be on the world wide web!

Anonymous said...

Larri-isms:

If you can't say anything positive, don't say it at all (Unfortunately I haven't put this one to practice as much as I would like to)

You're entirely welcome (his response to a thank you)

Hello, I'm Alex's Falder (his introduction to people during my college years)

Let's go to Starbuck (never quite got the name right, but he loved their coffee)

Alex

Gregg said...

I had fun "roasting" Dad at his retirement dinner last year with a few of his Dave-isms. I could've used your "top shelf" illustration wen I mentioned that exact gesture on our Don't Skimp List post a while back...we use that -ism A LOT.

The "almost as good looking as your dad" one is classic.