Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New Springsteen--Old Me.

Today Bruce Springsteen releases his latest album, "Working On a Dream." This album kind of sneaked up on me. At the release of Springsteen's last album, "Magic," the boys and I had been anticipating it for weeks. We went out that Tuesday night and bought the CD. This time around though, I have not been anticipating it as much. I have downloaded the pre-release freebies and done some reading about it, but it hasn't really grabbed me. I even thought about just downloading it from iTunes today. (I have hard copies of all of my other Springsteen albums, just in case.)

I think that I have lost track of new music over the last year. Music has always been a way that I have sought to stay engaged with culture, but this year, I have not really been able to do that as much. It may be my increase in reading or the fault of my overloaded iPod (the subject of a future post.) The further away from college students I get, the further away from new music I get. I will definitely go out in the next few days, maybe even tonight, to get "Working On a Dream." Rolling Stone gave it 5 stars, just like almost all of Springsteen's latest albums. I am currently listening to it on lala. You can listen to it below. Make sure you catch The Boss at half time on Sunday.

Springsteen comes to St. Paul on May 11. Tickets go on sale on February 2. I think that this may have to be Ben and maybe Caleb's first Springsteen concert. We wanted to go so bad last time, but didn't pull the trigger. Tickets are so expensive, but I really want the boys to see him before he stops touring with the band. Will you be buying the album or seeing him on tour? Gregg and Brad, I already know your answers.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Springsteen for me. Sorry dude. I have been listening to a ton of:

Sondre Lerche
Starsailor
Beck
Ray LaMontagne
Manic Street Preachers
Les Claypool's Frog Brigade
The Fratelli's

Mostly thanks to your suggestion that I check out lado.e. It has opened me up to a ton of new stuff that happens to be real inexpensive at used stores.

You own.

Anonymous said...

Take your decrease in music awareness and multiply it by 200 million and you have my state of affairs. Bruce who? Just kidding. It's not that bad. The only group I recognized in Bill's list was Beck, though I wouldn't know them if they knocked on my front door. Take them to the concert, by the way.
T

Anonymous said...

I was just checking this out to see if you were still paying attention to springsteen! and you sure are! the starkenfam watched sunday and thought of the good old days - you and wooten both love him. keith called him the american bono.