Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gum, Geckos, and God--by Jim Spiegel

When I was a student at Taylor, there was a professor that I got to know a little named Jim Spiegel. I never took a class from him. He taught philosophy and at the time, I think I thought that was a little to "academic" for me. Now being a student affairs professional, Spiegel was/is the kind of professor that all of us hope for. He was interested in the whole person and the whole of college life. I can still vividly picture and hear his Nostalgia night performances of Dylan tunes (probably my first introduction to Dylan.) I had a few good conversations with him while I was a student and every time that I have been back to Taylor he has been gracious to me.

Before Christmas I came across his latest book, Gum, Geckos and God. It is all about how conversations about God with his four kids, eight and under come out of everyday things like backyard campouts, baseball on the radio and the family pet gecko. This is something that I have thought a lot about and worked hard at at home, so I was excited to get into it. Amanda read it first and really enjoyed it. Last night I read the first few chapters. Spiegel captures the ease, risk and work that surround these conversations. I have said though (and Spiegel reiterates) that if I could have everyday conversations about the nature of God and his kingdom with college students, I certainly need to be able to do that with my own kids. As I read last night, I thought back to my reading from Dueteronomy 6.

4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

One of the most important things that I do in my life will be the catechizing of my kids in the faith that God has given me. These verses capture my desire and also point to my deep need for the grace of God in this endevour. I will always fall short in this task on my own.

I am hoping to finish the book this week. For all of you who are parents of younger kids, order this book from Amazon and give it a read. Also check out Jim and Amy Spiegel's blog here. It is full of interesting anecdotes about their family, films, reading and life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will do.
T

Anonymous said...

Met her at Taylor Lake this summer. Very nice.
T