Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An Ordinary Man--Book Review

I am on a committee at work that chooses a book each year for the institution to read together. I think the idea is a good one. Ideally it would lead to a common conversation for all of the faculty, staff and students. In order to choose the book, the committee accepts nominations and then chooses around 6 or 7 to read over the Christmas break. I have been reading a lot. I just finished "An Ordinary Man" by Paul Rusesabagina. It is the true story behind the movie "Hotel Rwanda" about the genocide that occurred in Rwanda in 1994. I had of course heard about this movie, but I've not seen it.

The book was very good. It was an inspiring story of how one man can make a difference in the lives of his neighbors and even his whole country. Paul Rusebagina was a hotel manager in Rwanda who helped to save hundreds of people from the killings that were happening all around him. It was so interesting to read his account of the atrocities and why he made the decisions he made. I found myself, as I read, longing for him to know Jesus. It seemed that he was SO CLOSE. He was a former Seventh Day Adventist seminarian and talked about his relationship with and to God, but it always seemed just out of his reach. I have met many people like this and seem to always be drawn to them: coworkers, friends, Bruce Springsteen. They are people who know about God, maybe have even had experiences with him and his church, but for many reasons they choose not to trust and believe. They live lives that are genuine, true, admirable and even Christ-like, but they are Christ-less and therefore lost. I have had opportunities to talk to some of these people and tell them how much I would love for them to know the Jesus that I know and love. I long for them to know the forgiveness that Christ offers for the sin that they are often so aware of. They are often difficult nuts to crack. I pray for them.

I've drifted from my book review. If you are looking for a book that speaks of the total depravity of man and yet the hope that still lies in the heart of each man, the you should definitely read "An Ordinary Man". It is also a great book to open one's eyes to the world outside our normal vision. This will be my recommendation for our common book for next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy---
Good post. I've known lots of "close but so far" people over the years. I think I've told you the story of our Strongsville neightbors. On the first Sunday in January, about 11 years ago, our pastor asked who we would be willing to pray for over the next 10 years...that they would become belivers. I chose those neighbors, who were lovely people, but without the Lord. All 5 of them have, one by one, become Christ-followers over the past decade...and not nominally so. Some are full-time missionaries, and all are very active in their faith. When we pray, the light goes on, hearts listen to the Spirit, and lives are changed. Be hopeful!
Shube

http://rs-sonic.com.ua/dlya-chistki-forsunok-ultrazvukom said...

привет! помогите советом, ищу где можно купить инструменты для маникюра купить украина, лед лампа для ногтей спб и ультразвуковая ванна 10 литров? работаю администртором в салоне красоты, директор попросила найти, а я не знаю где купить)