Monday, October 22, 2007

Neti pots, hot tea, Vicks vapor rub


Everyone at the Gammons' house is sick. This brings many memories of my dad's favorite home remedies. I remember him with a towel over his head breathing in the steam from boiling water and vinegar; Vicks on his chest at bed time; two aspirin and a hot bath. If one of these didn't help, we knew he was really sick. I have inherited his desire for something to cure what ails me. If there's a pill for it, I'll take it. For a long time, I was on the cocktail of Dayquil/Nyquil. (We all know some Nyquil addicts.) Recently my mom has introduced me to the neti pot. This looks like a tea pot that you shove in one nostril and then let the water drain out of the other nostril. Sharon is a believer and she sent me one in the mail when I complained of my head being stuffed up. I asked Amanda to take a video of me doing mine, but she refused. I have been using it whenever I have sinus problems. It really does clean it out.

So pray for all of our little kids. Molly sounded like she was suffocating while she was nursing this morning and Caleb looks like death-warmed-over. I hope all of you are dodging the change of season ills.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Glad you like the neti pot. I haven't had a cold, sore throat, or sinus infection since I began using mine. I hope you'll all feel better soon. I love the picture.

Anonymous said...

Neti pot = vitamins = herbal remedies = pyramid business = insanity

Hope everyone is well soon. There's nothing worse.

Anonymous said...

yeah, james is on board the sick-train, and cant really breathe through his nose... which meant everytime he almost fell asleep last night (and went to start nose-breathing) he would snort loudly and scare himself awake.......long night.......

he might need to borrow your neti :)

Allison said...

I'm way into that chapstick looking nose inhaler with a vicks-like product in it...it's probably made with wicked cancer causing chemicals and you feel like a crack head snorting it...but it just feels so good.

Hope everyone's well soon!

Andy Gammons said...

Allison,
Careful! You can get addicted to those :)

Gregg,
I don't think I'm going crazy. But I have a really great new business strategy that I would like to introduce you to. It's a great deal and people are really making a lot of money. You can work from your home and you only have to work about 20 hours a week. We'll talk at Christmas.

Andy

Anonymous said...

I forgot to sign my comment...could we have the talk at Thanksgiving?

T

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear many of you are sick, but a good picture! All is well down here in San Miguel de Allende. No sickness of any kind yet, despite full particpation at the local cantinas.
D.

Gregg said...

A.) Neti pots are gross

B.) When I was sick as a child, I loved mom putting Vicks Vapor Rub on my chest and putting the humidifier next to the bed. (But I stayed up at night hanging my hand over the side of the bed to let the condensation build on my palm...probably not the intended use, but mildly entertaining when I was unable to sleep.)

C.) Green Tea is the nectar of life.

JS Grame-Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JS Grame-Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.