Monday, October 8, 2007

In that great gettin' up morning

My dad's aunt Evelyn died earlier this month. I didn't know her well. I knew her only through the words that my Grandma Ruth spoke of her and as simply a part of our family. Mom sent me a link to a video that they played at her funeral. The part that was so important to me was when they recounted all of the people that had gone before her. My dad and my grandparents were on that list. October 6, 1995: My dad has been gone for more than 12 years. My grandparents followed in 1999 and 2000. It made me think again of the covenant relationship that I am a part of. My family, through Dad's mother and father and their families, has had deep relationship with God through Jesus for generations. They were tender relationships that shaped these people's lives. They knew Jesus; it made them love the church; it helped them love people; it carried them through lives that often were difficult.

This is my longing, that one day my kids will be able to look back and see how God has guided their paths through the covenant that he has kept with their mother and father and their mother's and father's families. (The covenant is a deep one on Amanda's side as well.) I thank God for this and trust him, that He will walk along side of us as he has walked along side of our families before us. I trust that, after I meet Jesus and spend much time with him, he will say to me, "Andy, there are a some other people that have been waiting for you." Then I will have a long line of Gammonses and Windquists to hug, thank and laugh with..

----------------
Now playing:
Duke Chapel Choir - In That Great Gettin' Up Mornin'
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andy,
This was the first October 6 that I didn't think of Dad. Alex thought of it the next day. It made me sad and releaved at the same time. Maybe now his death isn't the most memorable part for me. I, too, so enjoyed that video that mom forwarded. It made me miss grandma and grandpa for the first time in a long time. It made me want to book a ticket to Ashville and spend some time with Aunt Pat--I still might try and do that. Thanks for the post.
T