Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!


Staying with the theme that has dominated most of the past few years at our house, the boys decided on being Star Wars characters for Halloween. Molly didn't have much of a choice, so she became Pricess Leia. This "costume" was Amanda's and my craft project for about an hour last night. (Notice the duct tape.) Benjamin is Anakin Skywalker. (That's Darth Vader before he went bad for those of you non-Star Wars freaks.) Caleb is a clone trooper (the storm troopers before they went bad). Matthew is Darth Vader. He does a great "Luke, I am your father."

I was able to go into Ben's class this morning and help with the Halloween party. It was a fun morning. I spent much of the time praying for one of the boys that did not come with a costume, the blind girl, the handicapped children and the boy who wanted to wait for his mom to put his costume on. He eventually put it on with about twenty minutes left of class. I was once again so thankful for the ways that God has blessed me. I was once again gripped by how much I need to offer to His groaning world. I hope all of you will have a fun night with your family, whether you decided to celebrate Halloween or not.

P.S.
Don't ever buy a Sony camera. We are on our second one in four years and it is a hunk of junk. I am hoping to enter the digital SLR world before Christmas.

----------------
Now playing: Pierce Pettis - Desire
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I guess you could call it bias, but after reading your post I was once again struck by the unique privilege it was for me to spend 20 years in a public school setting. Where else would a gifted and blessed five year old like Benjamin rub shoulders with the less privileged...the blind girl, the handicapped kids, the boy whose mom just didn't show up to help with his costume? Now you will have opportunity to talk to him about how richly God has blessed him and his family. More importantly, you will be able to talk about how he, yes, even at age 5, can minister to the least of these with a smile or a kind word...lots of ways. I just read yesterday about how when we love those less fortunate we really love Jesus. It's an act of obedience. Yes, there are certainly negatives in a public school classroom, but there is also much to be learned. I'm glad he's able to be there this year.
The picture of the kids in their costumes is precious...especially the Princess:) Thanks for sharing.