Monday, February 25, 2008

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Last night I finished reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok. This is an amazing story of friendship, father and son relationships, orthodox Jewish life in and after World War II and the importance of parenting for a child's soul. If you are a father of boy(s), a son or love either of these, it is a must read. Potok goes through the development of a deep friendship between Rueven, a modern orthodox Jew, and Danny, the son of a Hasidic rabbi. Danny, a genius student, is raised by a father who only speaks with him when they study Talmud. This silence is difficult for Danny to live with and difficult for Rueven to understand.

I really enjoyed the whole book, but in the last chapter, Reb Saunders, Danny's rabbi father, gives an explanation of why he has kept his son in silence. The climax of the book, this section made my heart hurt for my children, made me afraid for their souls, and made me understand and empathize with the decision of Reb Saunders.

If you have read The Chosen, I would love to read your reaction to my comments. If you have not, stop whatever you are doing now and run to the library and pick up this classic. You will not regret it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

andy,
i read this the summer i lived at grandma and grandpas. i was on a real Potok kick and even had the chance to hear him read at Hope. unfortunately my memory is so horrible that i don't remember much about his reading or The Chosen. i do believe that i enjoyed "My Name is Asher Lev" by Potok even more. i think that was the title without taking the time to google it. how did you hear about the book?
T

Andy Gammons said...

Tricia,
I am probably reading the book that you read. I got it at Mom's house over Thanksgiving. She was getting rid of a bunch and I grabbed this one. I am currently reading "In the Beginning" by Potok. I am going to have to get my hands on a "My Name is Asher Lev". I have heard great things about that one too.

Andy