Monday, February 25, 2008

Kids and church

I have mentioned previously how much we appreciate our church. One of the reasons is how our church focuses on the training of children. Currently, Ben and Caleb accompany us to "our class" each Sunday. Sometimes that is great and sometimes it is very difficult. If you're a parent or just interested, check out this article about our church's philosophy of having kids in the service and some GREAT tips on how to do this well.

Postscript:
If you don't have your kids in the service, don't read this post or the article as an indictment. There are different ways to skin a cat. This makes a lot of sense to us though.

----------------
Now playing: wilco - company in my back
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. We keep Davy with us during worship and prayer right now (the first 20 minutes). It's true that she is learning about worship already. She claps her hands and has even raised her hands a couple times which always makes Alex and I cry. I'm not sure where we will go from here, but I found the article interesting.
T

Colbert Family said...

Great article, but like you said... there are different ways to skin a cat. I was actually checking the same article just before I checked out your blog.

Jim

Sharon said...

AMEN Pastor Piper!! My parents sat with all six of us in the pew every Sunday. There was no child care and as I look back on it I think that their attitude of reverence and quiet sent a message to me and my siblings that church was a special place and a place where God's presence was felt. I remember seeing my parents receive Communion, singing songs, folding their hands to pray and kneeling before a holy God. It had a profound impact on me as a child and I think it still does today. I also remember the Saturday night preparations for Sunday morning. My dad polished and shined our shoes, clothes were ironed and baths were taken. It all added to the idea that there was something very important about Sunday, the sabbath, and church. I often think of my parents doing all of the work involved in getting that many kids to church every Sunday and I thank God that they did it. Now you, Tricia, and Joe are passing on that same legacy. It is hard to find words to express the thankfulness that I feel in knowing that my grandchildren are being blessed in the same way that I was.