Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hymn of the Week--Heaven Came Down

When we picked this week's hymn, Heaven Came Down, Amanda said, "That is a Grandma Nagel classic." Amanda has many memories of her Grandma Betty humming hymns as she worked in the kitchen. I have just as many memories centered around old hymns. That is just one of the reason's that we try and do this. Amanda and I have such a rich heritage of faith and singing these hymns with our kids is one way of passing down that heritage. Sometimes the boys don't join right in while we're singing at the table but, it was so GOOD to hear Caleb clearing the table singing "Heaven came down and glory filled my soul."

One of my favorite things about this hymn is how it points out that it was God who came down to us. It wasn't our efforts that led to salvation, "Heaven came down." I am so thankful for that.

Hymn of the Week
Heaven Came Down
Words and music by John W. Peterson

O what a wonderful, wonderful day, day I will never forget;
After I'd wandered in darkness away, Jesus my Savior I met.
O what a tender, compassionate friend, He met the need of my heart;
Shadows dispelling, with joy I am telling, He made all the darkness depart.

    Chorus
    Heaven came down and glory filled my soul, (filled my soul)
    When at the cross the Savior made me whole; (made me whole)
    My sins were washed away and my night was turned to day,
    Heaven came down and glory filled my soul! (filled my soul)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that hymn.
I hope it shows on this comment that it's 6:15am. Yeah, a bit early here in the Falder household. Little Jake is having quite the time sleeping this last week. He's rolling over during the night and then screaming his head off because he's not a belly sleeper--6 or 7 times a night. Not quite sure how we're going to resolve this one. Alas, it is all a phase.

Sharon said...

I love Tricia's comment about Jacob too. When I was there he would roll onto his stomach and then unable to roll back over, he would scream bloody murder into the mattress until he had himself worked up into a regular lather...sweaty head and all. As soon as someone would come in to rescue him he would be all smiles. This too shall pass:)

Thank you Andrew and Amanda for passing the hymns on to your kids. It's a rich heritage! I love this one and remember singing it in church and how we would all smile when we did the "echo".

Anonymous said...

I printed this blog page to show my Mom (Grandma Betty) when we see her in September! D.

robert said...

You might enjoy reading the story behind the song, "Heaven Came Down," on this, the 88th anniversary of John Peterson's birth. You can find it on my daily blog, Wordwise Hymns today. God bless.

robert said...

Here I am, back a year later. So glad to hear of a family that sings! And not only sings, but enjoys the hymns and gospel songs of the church. These are wonderful experiences. I doubt many families gather round the piano and sing as they did in years gone by, but it's a custom that should be revived!

And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” If you do not have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at my own, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)