Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hymn of the Week--There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood

This week's hymn is another great old one. It is also easy to memorize.

Hymn of the Week
There Is A Fountain Filled With Blood
Words by William Cowper
Music is Cleans­ing Fount­ain, 19th Cen­tu­ry Amer­i­can camp meet­ing tune

There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel’s veins;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.
Lose all their guilty stains, lose all their guilty stains;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I listened, sang, cried, and then said Amen! Thanks for sharing this one. It's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I've loved this hymn for a long time. Also, it was one of the very first I learned to play...not because of any lofty aspirations, just because it's written in the Key of C. No black keys required! It's great beginner hymn musically. A great, deep text in the Soteriology department...which is a much better motive for loving it.
Shube

Unknown said...

I recently found out that a crowd of 3000 people sang this hymn at the public hanging of my GGGrandfather in October 1893. Many say he was innocent of the crime and bravely went to his death, the last person to be publicly executed in Georgia. Thank you for posting this tune, as I had never heard it before. It brought me to my knees.