Thursday, December 11, 2008

Chicken rice soup

From December
This weekend Amanda had pulled a chicken from the freezer for us to have. Even though no one was really in the mood to eat, we made it anyway. I had some, then I did the Grandma thing and sat at the table and pulled all the meat off. I took all of the juices and the drippings from the pan, threw that and the carcass in the stock pot with my mirepoix (carrots, celery and onions) and some chicken broth. After consulting with one of my mentor chefs (thanks, Joni) about the correct amount of rice to put in, we were in business. We had this for dinner last night and it was great! The flavor was perfect. I've made chicken soup before and often it is a little on the flavorless side. I did add some dried herbs, but I think that it was all of the pan drippings that I put in that really made the difference. I will be enjoying another bowl today at lunch.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds yummy. Let's do that again while you're in Alpena.

Anonymous said...

Andy -
Your soup looks great! I struggle with flavorless soups also - and I think you are right about the pan drippings. I usually can't bring myself to leave the fat from the soup bones or bacon fat or whatever in the finished product - I think I can feel it clogging my arteries while it's still on the stove. I guess this is another situation where moderation applies...
Joni
PS what time is lunch?

Anonymous said...

Andy---
From my 100 years of soup-making, here's my 2-cents:

Sautee (don't carmelize) the veggies in a bit of oil + butter before putting in the soup-pot.

Leave the lid cracked so the gelatin/collagen/whatever concentrates and thickens. Keep the heat low and slow.

Add a little barley. Not sure what the science of this is, but it adds a little nutty-ness to the broth.

If the gruel is water-y, cheat and add a can or box of Swanson's broth...and don't tell anyone.

Shube

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum give me some.

Or as Sharon now says, Yummo!

Or as Davy now says, Yummo like gigi.

T