Thursday, December 7, 2006

Christmas

What are some of your best Christmas memories? What are the times that when you think of them they warm your heart?

For me, most of these center around two things: family and church. Christmas at the Gammons' house always meant being at our house for Christmas day. I remember the time that the Christmas light got to close to the couch and burned a large hole (Tricia reference this a few days ago.) I remember going over to Dad's terminal to start up all of the trucks and use the blowtorch to deice something or other. I remember going to Grandma and Grandpa's. I remember their porcelain Christmas tree with mini presents on it. I remember this always being a happy time at our house.

I remember going over to Shorty (that was really a dude's name) and Doris Turnbull's house for their annual Christmas party. Joe and I would be banished to the den while the adults talked. I remember singing Christmas carols at Church. I remember the candle light services at Ripley Blvd. Baptist Church, holding hands in a circle around the church. I remember singing in cantatas with Dad in his white shirt and tie.

I hope that our boys will grow up with memories like these. Christmas is hard though. It feels so busy and less than holy. I long for days of quiet and times of contemplation. Thanks for reading.

P.S.
I think that this will be one of the pictures that Ben and Caleb look back on in the photo album when their my age. They both look so funny. Caleb looks like he's 16 with his long hair.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Cape and all...

(i spy a very cool Superman ornament!!)

Sharon said...

I have lots of great Christmas memories too and they're much like yours. I can't wait for all of you to get here!!

Anonymous said...

Love your page!!! We burned a hole in our couch with a hot Christmas tree light too.......oh the good ole days! Have a wonderful Christmas. You are a very special family!
The Bos family

Andy Gammons said...

Great to have the Bos family on board. Welcome!

Anonymous said...

It's been great putting in some quality time with the Gammons family this Christmas season. Also, we have loved getting to watch your boys grow over the past year.

Have a very merry Christmas in Aplena!

B&S