Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spice it up!

When Bill and I went to the Ban Thai restaurant a few weeks ago, they were selling some of their ingredients. I noticed a red bottle with a chicken on the front. It was Huy Fong Sriracha chili sauce. I figured this was at least part of the really good spiciness that I love from my meal there. I thought I should pick some up and give it a try. I got some at the Cub and last night tried it in a beef stir fry. It was great. The boys like spicy food too. I didn't make it quite as spicy as I would have liked, but it was definitely good. If you're looking for some good heat in your next Asian meal, pick up some of this and enjoy!

3 comments:

Gregg said...

Great tip - we'll have to look for that. The Thai restaurant we go to uses a powder that you can get on the side...and it's CRAZY HOT. The last time I used it, I touched my eye about 45 minutes later (after having washed my hands) and it burned like heckfire - I recommend it for asian food (but not your eyes).

I wonder if the Huy Fong Sriracha chili sauce is what Allison puts in her hot and sour soup...

Anonymous said...

Whenever I would eat this at Noodles and Company my mouth (and insides) would burn for hours. After seeing your post I went to Sata 2 Go and got my meal spicy and then added copious amounts of this chili sauce on top. It just didn't burn like it used to.

Kim is convinced, especially after I finished an entire jar of hot cherry pepper slices w/o any issue, that I have burned my taste buds into serious submission.

Soon I'll be putting hot coals on my tongue just for the smoke flavor.

Allison said...

Oh! That's the sauce. When I first really started getting into Chinese food was when I was working for Glaxo in Schaumburg--the best restaurant was there- Yu's Mandarin. It was here that I learned to put a dollop of chili sauce into my hot and sour soup. Now, I can't have the soup without it.! YUM.