Thursday, April 10, 2008

What Oprah believes

I have written about my beef with Oprah before. Another one of my beefs with her is the way that she talks about "spirituality". The times that I have watched her talk about her faith, I have always been a bit suspicious. It is always a very, "I'm okay. You're okay." My mom sent me this YouTube video the other day. If you get past the crazy evangelicalism you can get to what she says about Christianity. It is especially sad at about three minutes into the video when Kelly asks Oprah a question about how she has reconciled these "spiritual teachings" with her "Christian beliefs". Oprah, in all of her pomposity, answers, "I reconciled it because I was able to open my mind . . ."

If only we could all be as enlightened as Oprah. Once you watch this video, let me know what you think. If you won't stop watching Oprah because of WHO she is, at least stop watching her because of WHAT she says.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

"EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW AND EVERY TONGUE CONFESS THAT JESUS CHRIST IS LORD". Viewing this video again makes me sad and convicts me to pray. I have "sworn off" Oprah's show. It has gone from entertaining to a very scary place and so many are being sucked in. Thanks for spreading the word Andrew.

Anonymous said...

The best thing to do is to ignore her and encourage everyone else to as well. Posting stuff like this, especially a video that's obviously pieced together to make a point isn't the way to go about discrediting her and unfortunately it does nothing to help your cause -- even though I agree with your anti-Oprah sentiment, although for somewhat different reasons.

Just remember that there are many people who need something to believe in to make their days better. As long as they feel that they are a better person by doing something, which is for the most part not harmful to them or those around them, it's probably better than allowing themselves to regress further into a space created by harnessing something far more negative than the misguidance of Oprah's all encompassing media circus.

Gregg said...

I feel like this type of new-age I'm god, you're god, truth is relative, there are many ways to enlightenment mindset isn't religion OR spirituality at all, but rather the lack thereof. If everything is truth, truth holds no value - in the same way that if 2+2 can equal whatever you feel, the question itself holds no value.

By stating that there are "many paths" and "your truth is yours to discover," you're essentially choosing NOT to choose. I have more respect for an athiest - at least they have the integrity to place a high enough value on religion/spirituality to seek a truth that can be explained and defended. "New Agers" (for lack of a better term) remove themselves from the debate by refusing to acknowledge that truth has any value at all.

And the "I'm able to think this way because I'm more open-minded than you" excuse makes me sick - stating that you win an argument by refusing to be confined by facts and truths is weak...another favorite non-answer.

Also, Oprah bugs me.