Friday, August 7, 2009

Read Alouds--Skylark

Mom recently sent us Skylark, by Patricia MacLachlan. This is the sequel to my recently mentioned Sarah, Plain and Tall. It is just as lovely and profound. She writes about a very difficult time for the family. The fields are brown, the dust is thick and they are waiting for rain. There is more than fear and misery though. There is hope.

Anna, the narrator is a young girl who is trying to figure out how to go navigate these difficult times. Her companions are her new mother Sarah, her brother Caleb and her father Jacob. It is another gift from the author and one that I would highly recommend. The boys would certainly echo that. I asked last night if they wanted me to keep reading. Ben said, "Yes." Caleb said, "Yes." Matthew said, "No." Thanks for sending it mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the names in it.
T

Sharon said...

So glad the you're enjoying the book! I love hearing about what you're reading to the boys.