Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Read Alouds--Ginger Pye

I have not written about any read alouds for a long time because we had been engrossed in this book for months.  I have saved a few of the longer books to the end of this year, hoping that the boys comprehension and attention spans grew with them. (It was over 300 pages.) That has happened and this book was definitely a success.  The boys all loved it. 

Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes is a mystery about when a boy and his sister lose their little fox terrier.  Apparently Estes is a renowned author, but this book was my first exposure to her.  It is well written and like I said the boys loved it.  They talked about it all the time.  "Remember how Uncle Benny said . . ."  Uncle Benny was their favorite.  He is a three year old who happens to be the kids uncle because their mother was so young when she married their father.  They thought that was great.  This was not my favorite book, but I think I will check out more of Estes work.  If your kids are into mysteries and are okay with a longer book, then give it a try.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

we'll check it out. justin has been reading some shockingly long books lately, and begging for more. it's a good problem to have!