Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Read Aloud--Where the Red Fern Grows

Where were you when you read . . .?  There are few books that have this kind of impact.  I can distinctly remember reading the last few chapters of Where the Red Fern Grows together on our way to a Detroit Symphony Orchestra rehearsal when I was a little boy.  My mom had to pull over because she was crying.  So this has always been a book that I looked forward to reading to my kids.

It's the story of Billy, a boy growing up in the Ozark hills and swamps, and his case of "puppy love", his desire to have a couple of coon hounds. Old Dan and Little Ann are the answer to his prayer.  They go on to become the two best coon hounds in the country.  We haven't finished the book yet, but I look forward to every night and love when the boys all ask for "one more chapter."  This is also one of the first books that Molly intently listens to and follows.  It's fun to have her with us and enjoying it too.  I am afraid that after we read this book it will be difficult not to rush out and get a hound of our own.  I want my boys to, like Billy, long a little for that dog though.  It's such a great story of the sweet taste of delayed gratification.

If you read one book this summer, whether you have kids or not, I recommend that you read this one.  Be careful though.  If you don't have a dog and aren't in the market for one, this is a dangerous piece of literature.  Reader beware.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which is why I will not let this book anywhere near Alex for the next three years. After that all I'll have to do is read the section where Little Ann dies of a broken heart and we'll have our puppy the next day. Such a good one. Talk about delayed gratification, waiting this long to add it to your read-aloud repitoire.
T

Anonymous said...

I remember Tricia leaning over the front seat/before seat belts/and reading those chapters aloud so that we could all hear it. We all cried, and yes, I had to pull the car over because I couldn't see through the tears. I also remember reading it to my classes every year and seeing kids put their heads down and sob softly. Other kids would turn around to see what the noise was about. We would always have to talk then about the beauty of tears and a tender heart. One more memory is giving it to Grandpa who only completed 4th grade because he was needed on the farm in Missouri. He read it and told me that it took a long time but it reminded him of his growing up years and his coon hunting days. You are so right....it's a must read for all ages.
Mom

Andy Gammons said...

I love the story of Grandpa reading it. I had forgotten that. Thanks, Mom.

Brian said...

Agreed. This is an excellent book! I can't help but think that if Billy new a great veterinary surgeon that the book may have had a happier ending.

timandlauren said...

Hi - I'm part of a family that used to be neighbors of the Nagels back in Ohio. My sisters were close friends with Amanda (I found out about your blog through my oldest sister)

Anyways, we read this book out loud in 6th grade. Actually, I think Amanda would have had the same teacher at one time (Mrs. Lucas). I just so happened to be the one chosen to sit up front and read out loud during the end of the book. Needless to say, it was next to impossible to try reading without crying, but I think I held it together. I remember a lot of people looked as though they were trying hard to do the same. One boy just lost it though and was sobbing.

I have to admit, to this day I refuse to watch the movie or re-read the book due to the tragic ending.

And that's my story about Where the Red Fern Grows.