Friday, August 31, 2012

Angry Politics

I have been watching quite a bit of the convention this week.  One of the most disappointing speeches was from our former governor Tim Pawlenty.  I like Tim Pawlenty, but this speech was so bitter and filled with vitriol that I almost wanted to turn it off.  He threw angry one liner after angry one liner for about 10 minutes.


I'm tired of politics like this.  Shouldn't we as Americans and even more so, Christians hope that the President is successful in helping America?  Shouldn't we work together and compromise to try and do what's best for the country?

Last night when Mitt Romney spoke I really appreciated his tone.  It was different.  It was almost a lament for our country.  He was disappointed in President Obama, but he didn't come off as bitter.  He said, "I wish President Obama had succeeded because I want America to succeed."  Now, one could question his sincerity, but the sentiment rings true.  I also thought it was great how he connected with some people who voted for Obama.  In the clip below he pretty much says the same thing that Pawlenty did.  You voted for Obama and it seemed like a great thing at the time.  Now you're rethinking it.


I'm not hopeful on this, but I would sure like to see a little less anger and bitterness in our political system over the next few months.  I'll cross my fingers.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Amen brutha. Furthermore, why can't we just vote on ISSUES instead of for INDIVIDUALS who may or may not be lying to us?

It sometimes feels like we'll just never come together as a country with this two-party system.

Bill Roehl said...

Because voting on issues take up by liars doesn't change the problem or the fix.