Thursday, August 2, 2007

35W Bridge Collapse


Joe called me last night around 7:00 pm local time. He said, "Are you on the bridge?" I said, "What bridge?" Tricia and Alex had left about an hour earlier and I had just gotten the boys off to bed. After Joe told me what had happened we quickly turned on the TV and followed along with each of the Twin Cities television stations.

If you look at the map above, you'll see where we are located in relation to the bridge collapse (the red arrow.) We have driven over that bridge a number of times, every time we go to Dave and Joni's house. I was just near there last Wednesday at the University of Minnesota.

When I got to work this morning I checked a lot of my usual sites. One that I read every morning is the Desiring God blog. This is our pastor John Piper's ministry. Read some of his hopeful, yet sobering words about the bridge collapse here.

Below is a live traffic camera from near the scene of the collapse.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I just heard about the bridge this morning. Denise is here washing my windows and she told me about it. I didn't watch any news yesterday. I've decided that there seems to be no good news on TV and it makes me think so negatively so I've sworn off it for a while. I heard about it anyway! It makes me think about the brevity of life and how people go to work one day and don't come home. We just don't know what life will bring today so like John Piper said we need to be ready and make sure that we know where we're going to spend "the rest of our life". This really isn't it. I'm thankful to know that when Don didn't come home from work that day that I know where he went. God is merciful!