Thursday, August 16, 2007

Music for your soul

When was the last time that you heard that good old-fashioned four part Southern Gospel harmony? For me, it had been too long. Last week, providentially I came across The Cathedrals. I had heard of them before. I had seen George Younce (the guy on the left with the sweet pink jacket) with the Gaither Homecoming people on tv and also once live in Grand Rapids. I have been listening to The Cathedrals Southern Gospel Treasury on Napster. (It's not the old Napster that was illegal. It's the new Napster. You can listen to any album for free for a limited number of times. Check it out.)

I am not a huge Souther Gospel fan. But from time to time, I go there. I grew up hearing different configurations of Ripley Blvd. Baptist and Word of Life Baptist quartets. They were fun to listen to and hold some great memories. I believe that my dad even made a few appearances in the ever changing line up. I knew that I had really arrived when I even got an invitation to "sing melody" in the quartet one year. So if you're looking for some great music (Carrie, tell Joe to listen to this.) check out The Cathedrals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy---
If you want to hear some great quartet music (I mean besides MY quartet who you can hear at the State Fair on Labor Day weekend...big shameless plug), get a hold of the two latest CDs by Signature Sound (led by Ernie Haas, the son-in-law of Mr. Sweet Pink Jacket himself, George Younce). They don't use the typical quartet spacing (with the second tenor on lead)...but they have a mighty sweet sound. Thus, I have transcribed a couple of their hits for my quartet to sing. I love these: Heavenly Parade and (That's Why I'm) Telling the World About His Love.
A fairly recent convert to the world of quartet music...SHUBE

Sharon said...

My only exposure to quartet music was through Don's family. His dad, Wayne, sang in a gospel quartet that traveled around to churches in the Poplar Bluff, MO area. He sang tenor and loved to sing the really high parts. Don inherited his dad's love of gospel quartets.
Joe took me to the Gaither Homecoming in FL last winter as a Christmas present and Signature Sound was there. They were great and the crowd loved them. They really move around the stage and they're fun to watch. I'd forgotten their name until I looked on line in response to Shirley's post. Check them out.