Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Classic CCM

I was feeling a bit nostalgic here at work today so I put together a lala play list of some of my favorite classic CCM artists. Most of these are CDs that I got while I was in college through the Chrisitan CD club (maybe an oxymoron.) Others go all the way back to when I was in junior high and became a Christian. I swore off "secular" music, threw out my AC/DC, Bobby Brown, NWA, and Chicago. I pretty much listened to CCM and the oldies radio station. Here's a sample of some of the artists I included in my play list.

1. Michael W. Smith
The Project
Michael W. Smith 2
I 2 eye
The Big Picture
(Tricia had a poster of him from this album up in her room.)
Go West Young Man

2. Steven Curtis Chapman
3. Charlie Peacock
4. Rich Mullins
5. PFR (I helped out with one of their last shows at TU)
6. Petra
7. Geoff Moore and the Distance (Taylor alum)
8. Jars of Clay (just their first album)
9. Out of the Grey
10. White Heart

Who would be on your classic CCM play list?

4 comments:

Gregg said...

Wow...solid list, but aren't you "d-d-down with the DC Talk?" I've heard of all of 'em except Charlie Peacock. Betcha miss that Bobby Brown cassette!

It's a little more "mid-90's", but I have to admit Matt Miller and I attended an Audio Adrenaline concert in Fort Wayne while at Taylor...and I still listen to their song "Big, Big House" from time to time - it's wonderfully horrible up-beat pop:

Come, and go with me
to my fathers house.
It's a big, big house
with lots and lots of rooms
a big, big table
with lost and lots of food
a big, big yard
where we can play football...


That's right...heaven is all about picnics with lots and lots of food and football.

Andy Gammons said...

Gregg,

I was never really d-d-down with the DC Talk. There were a couple of intentional omissions from my list. Of course most CCM lists from this time would have started off with Amy Grant-not mine though. I did also own the Audio Adrenaline album that you mentioned. I didn't really like it though. You should check out Charlie Peacock. He is still on my iPod.

Anonymous said...

Andy---
FYI: Your #1 pick, Smitty, is going to be at Grace Church in September and I heard at my rehearsal last night that tickets are going like hotcakes. This is his 1st non-Christmas concert in Mpls/St.Paul in 5 years, so you can understand the pent-up demand from aging Gen-Xers! :)
Shube

Andy Gammons said...

Shube,
When I was in college, a bunch of us slept out in front of the union the night before Smitty tickets went on sale. We were in the front row. It was more of a satire than anything else. I probably won't make the Grace Church show. Maybe I'll show up for a smoke with him in the back after his sound check.

andy