Thursday, November 29, 2007

Good friends and good music









Often times my tastes in music have come from the people that I care about. This probably began with my friend Anna Manente in high school. Her dad played guitar in a bar band. Music like Eric Clapton, John Denver and James Taylor was always playing at her house when I was there. Tricia was in college at this time and she brought home artists like David Wilcox and Nanci Grifith. I passed along the music that I was discovering. When I got to Taylor I met people like Mike Wooten (Johnny Cash, Springsteen, Dylan, Bill Mallonee, VOL), Ben Arendt (Smashing Pumpkins) and Amanda (Over the Rhine). Over the Rhine is a great example of this. Before I met Amanda I had heard them and even been to one of their shows. I didn't really like them. I didn't "get" them. Once I saw Amanda's excitement for them, I wanted to like them and gave myself over to them. They have become one of my favorite bands and I look forward to each upcoming album.

I have also had the opportunity to introduce people I love to music that I love. Tricia began listening to the music that Anna introduced to me. Amanda has embraced almost all of the music that I like. My friend Jared has become a big Springsteen fan. Bill from work has begun listening to OTR and likes it. I recently passed on some music to guys I'm still in contact with from Taylor and Ryan Adams was a stand out favorite. Probably my most satisfying contribution is to my boys' musical tastes. Ben, Caleb and Matthew are Springsteen fans. Someday they will talk about the music that they listened to growing up. That will be fun.

I am always interested in the music tastes of my friends. To what are you listening? Who has influenced your musical tastes?

----------------
Now playing: Gillian Welch - Revelator
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,
Alex finally got your free cd onto his ipod and is LOVING it. He's said numerous times how thankful he is.."I should write Andy a thank you note". I'm not sure that will happen, but I know he was thinking of you as he listened to it on his way to Pittsburgh today. Thanks for connecting with him in that way.
T

Allison said...

Music is so personal. I am one who tends to rely more on lyrics and the emotions evoked from that more so than the music. That said, my favorite lyricists:

Ani DiFranco was the first person who put into words my exact feelings with lyrics like:

"I am watching your chest rise and fall like the tides of my life, and the rest of it all and your bones have been my bedframe
and your flesh has been my pillow
I am waiting for sleep to offer up the deep with both hands"

Ben Harper did the same when I first heard 'Waiting on an Angel' and the entire Welcome to the Cruel World album.

Damien Rice's music brings me to tears each time I listen to it, which is often.

Of course, because of you and Amanda, I am in love with all things Over the Rhine, the Ohio LP being my favorite.

Anonymous said...

JOSH GROBAN...need I say more? This young man has won my heart. Impeccable pitch, genius of nuanced phrasing, and musical maturity + control way beyond his years. How did he get SO good? He's helped me "drive" many a trip between Minneapolis and Champaing/Chicago/etc. :)
Shube