Friday, February 6, 2009

Fighter Verses and a growing community

Each week our church memorizes a passage of the Bible. Our church calls them "Fighter Verses." I have written about our families desire to hide God's word in our hearts before. At times this has been easier than at others. One thing that I am very excited about is the songs that have been written for some of this year's fighter verses. They are written by Scott Jamison, incidentally one of Ben's teachers on Wednesday night and the writer of one of the blogs I read daily. One of the performers on the songs, Tom Dodd, leads our small group. His wife Abigail writes another blog that I read. I am excited about this music and how it has already allowed me to put this week's verse in my heart (track 4 below).

I Timothy 4:12 "Do not let anyone despise you for your youth but set the believers an example in conduct, in speech, in love, in purity." (I wrote that from memory, so I may have jacked some of it up.)

I am also excited about the community that we are developing over the Internet. This is definitely one case where my getting to know people in the virtual world has helped me get to know them in the real world. Check out the blogs that we enjoy above and listen to the music below and maybe even join us in memorizing these scriptures.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I really love the concept of memorizing with the help of music. I used it so often when I was teaching school and found it very effective. It's wonderful that you're hiding scripture in your heart!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Andy.

I'll be posting on this soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these great scripture songs!

Anonymous said...

My fav is number 7.. love the verse and, of course, the singer happens to be my favorite too.