Friday, July 10, 2009

The Best Children's Book I've Ever Read

, rEvery night I read a book aloud to the boys. This week we read Sarah, Plain and Tall. I have read a lot of children's books, both as an adult and as a child and this, by far, is the best one ever. I love the imagery and most of all the way that she painted the emotions of the two children. It reminded me of authors like Rick Bass and Wendell Berry. The words were poetic and sounded beautiful read aloud.

Usually I read only a chapter or even half a chapter depending on the length. With this book both the boys and I wanted it to continue. We finished the whole book (it is short) in two nights. I cried multiple times reading it aloud. It's a love story of a couple viewed so innocently from the children. It's a love story of the children longing for a new mother.

When we finished last night I brought the book up to Amanda and said, "You've got to read this." It took her about twenty minutes. If you've never read this book or if it has been a long time, go to the library and pick up this book.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

will do!

Sharon said...

Yes, you're right...it's a poignant reminder of the importance of children having two parents. I read it every year to my students and followed with the Hallmark movie which is very good too. The kids always loved it. It may be time for "Where the Red Fern Grows". The boys may be a bit young, but that's one that can be read over and over.

Anonymous said...

I know I have read this, but have no recollection. I will pick it up at the library this week.