Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hymn of the Week--Be Still My Soul

Anxiety, worry, cares, sadness: These are everyday things in our fallen world. Caleb is our worrier. Whenever something happens, I can read it on his face. When we sang this yesterday we talked about how God is in control of all things and he asks us to cast our cares on him. God tells us "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Then he promises us that "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Many people we love are going through difficult , scary, sad and trying times right now. I am praying that God, through this hymn, will guard hearts and minds with the peace that surpasses all understanding.

Hymn of the Week
Be Still My Soul
Words by Katharina A. von Schlegel
Music by Jean Sibelius

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Every time I sing this I weep. All of it has been so true in my life and the lyrics speak so personally to me. Thanks for choosing it!