Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Country music in Heaven

Abraham over at 22 Words wrote a post this week about whether there would be sad country music in heaven. I couldn't really get this idea out of my mind, so I wrote the following comment.

I have been thinking about this a lot this week. Whether because of my love of classic country (and new classic country, i.e. Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch, Patty Griffin) or because of my deep interest in and longing for Heaven, I’m not sure.

Two points: First, I’m not sure that there won’t be sad songs in Heaven. What better way to glorify God than to remember the pain of this world and see no longer through a glass dimly how He redeemed those sad things. So while we’ll hear those great old country songs like “I’m so lonesome I could cry”, we will understand them in a new way.

Second, there are so many GREAT country songs that speak of God’s redeeming work. How about this for a great post–”What good country songs are we sure to hear in heaven?” I just heard JC sing this morning “Like a Soldier”. Give it a listen. This is for sure to be one I’ll request of him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C20mOQvdqqU

Whether Willie will be there to sing the harmony, I’m not sure. Maybe we could find someone to sit in.

What do you think? Will there be "sad" things in Heaven? I was talking with some friends at church last week about prayer and how sometimes we don't understand the answers that God gives us to our prayers. I said that I would not be surprised if there is a film room where we can watch episodes of "Redemptive History". Wouldn't that be an amazing way to give God glory? I said that I would love to watch creation happen or to see Joseph reveal himself to his brothers or to see my dad sharing the gospel with his friend on the banks of the river. Maybe this will be part of the "knowing as you are known".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Just finished my Patriarchs study this week on Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. So many things you touched on reminded me of things I have learned.

About sad things though...I'm not sure. So much of sadness is about longing--longing to be loved more completely, longing for a different situation, longing for a deeper richer experience, longing for home. All these things will be fulfilled in his presence.

I guess you haven't asked if we will be sad in heaven though--just sad things. When you look at Hebrews 11, most things that God credited as faith to Abraham and the like were seen in sad/difficult situations--leaving your homeland, willingness to sacrifice your son, etc. I think those sad things and the faith born in them will be celebrated in heaven.

Anyway, thanks for writing...and I hope to catch a viewing of Dad at the river, by your side.

Sharon said...

I am also so interested in heaven and all things about it. Maybe it's because so many people that I have loved and still love are there. Have you read the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn? He has also written one called "Heaven for Kids" and I've wanted to read both of them. Maybe they will be Florida reads.
I can remember a conversation about heaven with your dad where I was wondering out loud about questions that I would ask the Lord when I got there. Don just looked at me and said, "Jesus will be there. None of that will matter. We'll be busy falling at His feet and worshipping." How true that seems to me.