Monday, July 23, 2007

The end of an era

I called Tricia on Saturday and she said that they had put Polson to sleep that morning. This was also some what sad for Amanda and me. We like Polson a lot. He was a great dog and he definitely pointed to a time of our lives that we really loved. We have lots of memories of hanging out with Tricia and Polson: Amanda living with them for a summer at the Madison St. apartment, stopping at Tricia's apartment in Vicksburg on my way back home from TU, eating Hungry Howie's and Polson recognizing the yellow box.

I thought I would post her recent e-mail about his "going to be with the Lord."
____________________________________________________________________


I have enclosed our final picture with Polson. He went to be with the Lord this morning. After a day of processing, I've landed on that terminology rather than "putting him to sleep" because that is what I wish for him. I know dogs don't have souls, but I think maybe this one did. Thank you Polson for being the best dog I will ever have. Alex and I spent the ride home remembering fond memories with him.

Polson riding in the front seat of my Tacoma and sharing my burger king french fries with me on a weekly basis.
Our cross country trip from Montana to Michigan.
The first year of his life following me around without a collar or leash.
Getting hit by a van after jumping out of my moving vehicle to chase a poodle.
The ocassional moment when he appeared to enjoy Annie.
And many more...

For those who don't know the details, Polson's knees had arthritis and it was difficult for him to do anything besides lay on his bed. He had growled at Davy three different times this week (only because he was in pain and didn't want her touching him) so we felt the time had come. Alex went in with Polson when they gave him the drug. He said it was very peaceful and the whole thing was over in 30 seconds.

Thanks for reading and being sad with us. Polson will be 11 years old next month.
T

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, how I love toots.

I am a wreck...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.
T

Sharon said...

I too loved Polson. I know I'm not the "dog lover" that Alex is but he was the #1 dog as far as I'm concerned and I always told Tricia and Alex that they'd never have another one as nice as Polson. Here's what I remember about him.

I was glad that he lived with Tricia on Madison Ave and in Vicksburg when she lived alone. He looked scarey even though he wouldn't hurt a soul.

He looked like a small bear when Tricia brought him back to Alpena from Montana.

He chased a porcupine up a tree at my house and had the quills to prove it. Tricia and I did a fast trip in the Tacoma to the vet's office where he quietly sat still so that the quills could be removed from his snout.

I got a HORRIFIC case of poison ivy from him on one of his Alpena visits and I was afraid to touch him after that.

He was special because he brought a smile to Tricia's face during the year after Don's death.

I'll miss him too!

Andy Gammons said...

Boy, oh boy. I hope that when I die people say as nice of things about me.

andy